July has been great month. David and I traveled to Montreal to spend some time with friends. Germany won the FIFA World Cup. I bought a Ukulele. AND Weird Al Yankovic released some new music videos! See below for my things loved in July.
1. Our trip to Montreal. Read about it here. It was great to spend some time with friends and catch up.
2. Pandemic. Awesome board game. We’ve decided that the next board game we buy will probably be this one. We have several competitive games (including one of my favourites, Dominion), but no co-op games. This would be a great addition to our rather meagre collection.
3. Weird Al’s Word Crimes music video. If you haven’t watched it, see below.
One of his best, in my opinion. Although, I do often find myself singing his Foil song (a parody of Lorde’s “Royals”) at work… oh, what they must think of me…
4. Puzzles! David and I bought a really beautiful puzzle in Montreal.
We don’t actually own any puzzles of our own, but my sister-in-law Sarah Joy reminded me how much fun (and relaxing!) puzzles can be. It’s 1000 pieces, and we finished it in a little less than a week. Time to get another one!
5. Bones. I just started watching this new television series, on the recommendation of my other sister-in-law, Laura. The show is based on forensic anthropology and forensic archaeology, with each episode focusing on an FBI case file concerning the mystery behind human remains found by the FBI. It’s similar to CSI (kind of), but with a lot more humour. Here’s a trailer for season 5 to give you an idea. It kind of has a spoiler… but at the same time, it’s a really predictable one… so yeah, I don’t care, haha.
The series is actually based (though quite loosely) on the life and writings of novelist and forensic anthropologist Kathy Reichs, who also produces the show. So far I’m really enjoying it, and am half way through season one. Clearly I’m a little late jumping on the Bones bandwagon – it premiered in 2005 and they’re currently filming the tenth season! At least the series is still running and I have some time to catch up! The tenth season premieres in September (so I guess I don’t have that much time to catch up…).
6. Last, but not least, I bought a Ukulele!
I found it on Kijiji for $30.00 and it looked like an amazing instrument to play with children. Part of my job at the library is to deliver our family storytime program. I couldn’t help imagining how much fun it would be to play the ukulele during this program. I’ve already learned Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star! Right now I’m working on something a little more difficult (and indiscernible when I’m playing it, yikes) – The Indiana Jones Theme Song! Wish me luck! Maybe I’ll get it mastered in a few months…
What are your things loved this month?